The History of Huron Oaks Golf Club:
The history of Huron Oaks Golf Club starts in a beautiful park on the pristine shores of Lake Huron in Brights Grove, Ontario. In this park sits a large magnificent Victorian styled century old house. This old home has been renovated and now operates as a Lambton County public library but it has a long and interesting history. It once was the former summer home of the famous Canadian beer baron John Labatt. It also included a six-hole golf course that was the beginning of what is now know as Huron Oaks Golf Course.
For many years this home was the summer residence of the Labatt family but in 1920 John Labatt was kidnapped while travelling from this summer home in Brights Grove back to his home in London. The Labatt family was so traumatized by the event they never returned and the six-hole golf course lay dormant until 1938 when Herb Crabbe Sr. purchased the property and expanded it to 9 holes. Crabbe named it Wildwood on the Lake. Eventually George Artis and Don Budd became involved with the club in the 50’s, expanding the course to 18 holes. Several years later a new Lakeshore road was built, which cut through the middle of the golf course and Wildwood on the Lake moved to the south side of Lakeshore in the 70’s. With the move came a new clubhouse and new golf holes, which now form the bulk of the current day Huron Oaks.
The club changed hands again in 1975 and was renamed Canterbury Country Club. Six years later the golf course was sold again to the Polysar Employees Recreation Association. The association was looking to build a recreation facility so the clubhouse was renovated and expanded to what it is today and the golf course was renamed Huron Oaks Golf Club after Lake Huron and the majestic oaks that adorn the property.
Canada’s most famous and current PGA star practiced, played, and worked at Huron Oaks as a young man. His name is Mike Weir. The left hander from Bright’s Grove would practice all day long hitting golf balls to work on his game. Now playing on the PGA tour, Mike has won several PGA tournaments including the Masters in 2003.
In 2003 a local group purchased Huron Oaks. In 2005 the new owners embarked upon a major redevelopment of Huron Oaks that included many new golf holes and an 80 unit residential development. In the fall of 2009 a newly constructed pro shop will be built beside the new #1 tee.
Come play Huron Oaks golf course and you will see it is fantastic!
Download a copy of the Huron Oaks scorecard now.
The History of Greenwood Golf Club:
In the early 1960’s owners George Poston and Stan White started to construct the 18 hole golf course on open farm land. Stan White designed the layout and his specialty was the raised greens. The course was opened in late 1963..
Late one night in 1965 as George Poston was locking the gate at the entrance of Greenwood, his car slipped out of gear and rolled towards him and pinned him up against the fence killing him. Stan White purchased George’s shares and became sole owner.
In 1968, the Ministry of Transportation took over the northern section of the golf course, where the 402 is now. As compensation the ministry gave Stan a cash payout and an additional 50 acres to the west of Greenwood. Four new holes were built and the course was redesigned to what it is today. The project was finished in 1970. While constructing and shaping the new #13 hole, Stan White lost his wallet with a $1000.00 bill in it. It was never found. The existing clubhouse was built in 1968 with an expansion added in 1980.
Stan sold the business to Len Moore and Jim Baxter in 1972. Len Moore purchased Baxter’s shares in 1978. Many changes occurred to the course in the mid to late 70’s. In 1981 Norman Blount purchased shares from Len Moore.
In 1998, Len Moore sold his shares to Jon & Colleen Milos who took over in the fall of 1998. Over the next 10 years, many changes were made to the course to enhance play. New trees were planted, tees and greens were built, new ponds were added, and new mounds added to help define many of the holes.
In 2008, all of Greenwood’s shares were purchased by a local group which also owns Huron Oaks Golf Club. Today the membership can enjoy playing both golf courses.
With prevailing winds, elevated greens, and water coming into play on 8 golf holes, your game can be very challenging to make par.
Come out and play Greenwood Golf Course.